As the oldest church organization in Liberty County, the Liberty Methodist Church was only one of 17 appointments made at the first session of the Texas Conference held in the Republic of Texas which convened on Christmas Day, 1840 at Rutersville in Fayette County, Texas. The first preacher of the Liberty Methodist Church, John C. Woolam, arrived in the Spring of 1841.
It was not until 1846 that a church structure was built. The Town Trustees granted the Methodists a church site on the northeast corner of the "church square" where a one-room log church was erected. After a storm destroyed this building in 1853, the Town Trustees granted the "church square" to the Catholic Church which occupies the "church square" today.
The Liberty Methodist Church acquired a new site on Main Street in 1854 and built a wood-frame church on the site of the present sanctuary. This building served the congregation for 50 years and was followed by buildings constructed in 1904, 1930, and 1953. The pulpit and bell used in the 1854 church are still in use today. The chapel was constructed in 1980 as a gift from Triphene S. Middleton. Rev. Lindsey Smith is the 91st preacher to be appointed to the First United Methodist Church of Liberty since 1840.